Tool: Target Risk Assessment (TRA)
This tool consists of three separate models for estimating exposures to workers, consumers and the environment that arise during a series of events (‘exposure scenarios‘). The TRA Tool has had a major beneficial impact on REACH (Regulation on Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals) since there was no other way chemical safety assessments (CSAs) could be compiled without it.
|SMC Category||Hazard identification and risk assessment|
|Subcategories||Hazard identification and chemicals risk assessment, Information and data assessing hazards and risks, Workplace safety assessment|
|SME Activity||Handling, Unloading and loading, Production|
|Resource Type||Downloadable programme|
|Author||European Centre for Ecotoxicology and toxicology of chemicals (ECETOC)|
|Company type||Synthesis of substances, Formulation of chemicals, Industrial users of chemicals|
How to use it
1) Data depends on module chosen (worker, consumer, environment). For the worker module:
- substance-specific data: e.g. (name, CAS number, molecular weight and data on the likelihood to become airborne
- Indicative reference values (e.g. a DNEL or some other value such as an OEL)
- processing information: e.g. presence of local ventilation, duration, vapour pressure at process temperature, if respiratory protection is used, etc.
1) Estimation of both inhalation and dermal exposure of workers according to provided data.
|Learning time||High (>8h)|
|User expertise||Advanced (advanced scientific/engineering degree required/business management experience required)|
|User-friendliness||Easy to use|